The Ninny-less Spot

My attempt to be a tad less "ninny" and a tad more edifying ;)

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Periphery

I seem to always be on the edge of something. This semester is no different. I have situated myself on the periphery of an amazing group of people at the seminary. They are all so wonderful, dedicated, sanctified, loving. I on the other hand - am none of these things. Yet I'm trying. Or better yet, I'm trying to let the Lord spring these things from my clenched fists.

Fletcher. They have been meeting here since we all started last spring. They have grown in number, passion and love. I actually went to one of these meetings. For the time being however, I will just stick it out over in "Estes Jr." All summer I had conviction brewing about putting aside a regular time there....so I will do that. On the periphery.

Chapel. In undergrad I only went to chapel when "cool" people were speaking. I didn't care much for the word "mandatory" or the ensuing consequences. And I think last spring I went to a whopping 3 chapel services all semester....and that's on the outside. This is an area that I will move into the game. But chapel itself is on the edge in a way. It is the action that is caused by going to chapel that is the real deal. Once you get passed worshipping with your community, letting your guard down and opening your heart to the Lord in the presence of your peers - that is the moment of truth. That is when you push aside the title of spectator and go for it. Okay - I am not one for sports analogies but I think you get my drift...

We have to get passed ourselves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

in the margins...with the poor, orphaned, widowed, infirm, otherwise in need we will always find Jesus...
the periphery (the margins) are not so bad...

5:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home